Monday, August 6, 2007

Concert Review: The Cribs

The Cribs
August 5, 2007
Lollapalooza
@@@

The Cribs were the first band I saw at Lollapalooza and the only noteworthy Britpop act I caught (I did see Paolo Nutini and wasn't greatly impressed). It was cool to hear their catchy Our Bovine Public ringing out as I walked through Grant Park for a closer view of what turned out to be a surprisingly solid, at times stellar, 50-minute performance. I only have the latest of their 3 albums and would call it decent, but not the best of current Britpop, though I know they are getting some acclaim back home. Comprised of three brothers from Yorkshire, England, who spent some time recording in Chicago (which explains singer/guitarist Ryan Jarman's reference to living on Kedzie Avenue), the Cribs weren't the day's highlight, but justified my getting there at 12:30. I'm not sure why they have such bad haircuts (at least 2 of the 3 brothers were oddly coifed), but their music is a cut above.

No comments: